Skip to main content

A religious plea for equanimity.

I am not a very religious person. By that I mean that I don't display what is a very deep spiritual questioning and seeking I constantly do. Today I'll make an exception.

America has become a divided country, not in the Left and the Right, but the rich and the poor. Somehow the rich have escaped scrutiny by the religious right, and have used the religiosity of America to out-maneuver more centrist or reasonable politicians. Not too long ago, Arnold Schwarzenegger was booed at a Republican convention (being held in California where Schwarzenegger at the time was the sitting Republican Governor) for doing nothing other than urging Republicans to go to the center. (I'm looking for the reference for this. Let me know if you know this speech.)

So with religious zealots defending the right of the rich to be rich, I'd like to talk in religious terms today.

The world Jesus walked on was one like today divided into two groups: the rich and the poor. Jesus the son of an artisan would have been in the low "middle" class, below a landed peasant, but well above a beggar or prostitute, but in general a member of the poor classes. The rich landed nobles that lived in cities inhabited a world of money and influence very far from the small village of Nazareth that was composed of around 400 souls. It is in this world, similar to ours where the richest 10% of the US own more than the other 90% that Jesus said:

I am telling you the truth: a rich man will hardly get into the kingdom of heaven. I'll say it again: it is easier for a camel to enter through a needle's eye than for a rich man to enter God's kingdom. (Mt 19:23)

This line has been ignored over and over. Even the Puritans believed that God's grace was visited on prosperous people and God's disfavor on reversals of fortune. I remember reading an impassioned letter from a puritan woman at having lost her house to a fire and how she cast the loss as an instruction from God not to worry about material things. This feeling that God's favor was visited on prosperity was also held by Jews of Jesus' time. Lepers were unclean and shunned because the illness was see as falling into God's displeasure. The illness would not go away until that person had repented and been forgiven by God.

What this line points to is not the accumulation of wealth through work, or the benefits of the work of earlier generations. What this teaching means is that God doesn't favor people with monetary wealth (but with spiritual wisdom), and that monetary wealth can be a huge impediment (not impossible but way harder) towards entry into heaven. So why protect them from high taxes? Would those not essentially help them reach heaven? For many religious or religious-pretending groups this is not even an issue.

What did Jesus say of taxes? Which had to be paid to Rome with Roman coins bearing the likeness of the Emperor (and the saying "Son of God")?

Give Caesar's things back to Caesar, and give God's things to God. (Mk 12:17)

And yet in this recession we want the peasants to bear the bailouts, the deficit reduction while even just Clinton Era taxes can't be re-established?

I am not an advocate of mixing religion and government, I think that contaminates religion. And yet religion is there today, but not justifying equanimity, clearly a Christian goal, but inequality. It's time we stop avoiding the moral issues altogether or arguing them on purely rational grounds. The morality here is backwards and it needs to be straightened.


Sources: Scott Korb, Life in Year One; Anne Bradstreet, Here Follows Some Verses upon the Burning of our House

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building my own home.

I've decided. I want to build my own home. There is something special about building your own things. I built a desk for my tiny room when I first moved to L.A. My room was so small that I had to sit on the bed to use the computer so I build a high desk so I could sit on the bed and work on the computer. My roommate Trentity helped me cut the ply-wood to the right side. I still have that desk. It now sits on the living room covered by a cloth hiding the surplus of costume parts my current roommate Sean uses in his creations. Learning to build and fix things continue. And the feeling of satisfaction from fixing even small things is great. So a few years ago I heard on the NPR program the Story about a couple of educators that moved to a tent in their back-yard so they could rent their house and afford to send their kids to college. They had a special type of tent called a yurt and cooked and showered in an RV they had parked next to it. I thought I could do that. Housing in Lo

Contrasting Styles of Writing: English vs. Spanish

There is interestingly enough a big difference between what's considered good writing in Spanish and English . V.S. Naipul winner of the 2001 Nobel prize for literature publish an article on writing . In it he emphasizes the use of short clear sentences and encourages the lack of adjectives and adverbs. Essentially he pushes the writer to abandon florid language and master spartan communication . This is a desired feature of English prose , where short clipped sentences are the norm and seamlessly flow into a paragraph. In English prose the paragraph is the unit the writer cares about the most. This is not the case in Spanish where whole short stories (I'm thinking this was Gabriel Garcia Marquez but maybe it was Cortázar) are written in one sentence. Something so difficult to do in English that the expert translator could best manage to encapsulate the tale in two sentences. The florid language is what is considered good writing in Spanish but unfortunately this has lead t

My Fake Resume

Inspired by the over aggrandized bio of Joseph Rakofsky I want to write my own. If you don't know who he is; Joseph Rakofsky is a lawyer who earned a mistrial for a criminal client due to his (alleged) incompetence as reported on the Washington Post . There has been quite a few commentaries on his "Streisand-house" approach of suing all the bloggers and even the Washington Post and American Bar Association for reporting his (alleged) ineptitude. ("Streisand-house" is what happened to Barbara Streisand who wanted to have a picture of her mansion removed from the internet and she sued to have it removed. Unfortunately suing requires the filing of public documents with a picture of her house. The lawsuit had the direct opposite effect it intended. Everybody now could see legally, since it was a public document, a picture of her house.) But all that internet gossip aside I'm most impressed by his resume. Here is a quote from the website: Prior to stud