Skip to main content

The Modulo (ruby program pt.2)

I think I've finally gotten a hold of the modulo operator in Ruby. Modulo looks like this: % in programming and it shows up as one of the primary mathematical operations in Ruby.
To understand modulo I looked up the Wikipedia page first and found it no help at all save for one fact: It shows that different programming languages handle modulo differently. For some it's the divisor and for other the divorcée (or some such unintelligible mathematical term that looks like divorcée).

I asked a friend who is good at math and learned a cool new understanding of modulo only to learn that math has a whole bunch of them and none are the programming one. Great. Then I hit upon the Wikipedia page for the jargon of modulo. And suddenly it started to make sense. This really shows how learning modalities differ.  The technical mathematical terms and formulas did nothing to my understanding of the programming term modulo. The colloquial-language-based-use went a long way to clearing it up.

According to the Wikipedia entry, modulo jargon is used in a way to mean something is the same as something else except for an exception. Or to say some thing is more or less the same as another thing. So you could say the character "á" is the same as "a" modulo "accent." Or to use the Wikipedia example: "http and https are the same, modulo encryption." Or my favorite: "This code is finished modulo testing" - means "this code is finished except for testing". While this literary/colloquial use of modulo is not the same as the programming one, I just got it suddenly.

In Ruby modulo is like perfect subtraction or division with the exception of the result of modulo.  It is not the number after a decimal point in division (like I thought). If you think of division as serialized subtractions, modulo is what is left of the last subtraction. This site has a great explanation of this and a cool example of how we use modulo when calculating the time between a 24 hour clock and a 12 hour clock.

But here is the cool thing, while this programming use is nice, the jargon use is way better, since it allows for a cool division trick. You can do some cool things like 100/6 = 15 modulo 10. Like one hundred divided by six would be fifteen except for ten extra units. Instead of giving the absolute programming modulo, using any arbitrary number to increase computational speed. Let's say you have 97 people and you want do divide them into 7 equal groups (bear with me). Now let's say you are not supper fast at mental math like me and you want to do this in your head. Well you know 7 x 10 is 70 so you can say 97/7 = 10 modulo 27 (97-70). Then you do it again. 27/7 = 3 modulo 6. So all you need to have equal groups is one more person and you have 7 groups of 14 (10+3+1). And while this may sound longer than needed, it has one huge advantage in that you get closer and closer to the answer as you calculate 10 > 13 > 14.

Now if I could only figure out what happens with negative numbers...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building my own home.

I've decided. I want to build my own home. There is something special about building your own things. I built a desk for my tiny room when I first moved to L.A. My room was so small that I had to sit on the bed to use the computer so I build a high desk so I could sit on the bed and work on the computer. My roommate Trentity helped me cut the ply-wood to the right side. I still have that desk. It now sits on the living room covered by a cloth hiding the surplus of costume parts my current roommate Sean uses in his creations. Learning to build and fix things continue. And the feeling of satisfaction from fixing even small things is great. So a few years ago I heard on the NPR program the Story about a couple of educators that moved to a tent in their back-yard so they could rent their house and afford to send their kids to college. They had a special type of tent called a yurt and cooked and showered in an RV they had parked next to it. I thought I could do that. Housing in Lo

Contrasting Styles of Writing: English vs. Spanish

There is interestingly enough a big difference between what's considered good writing in Spanish and English . V.S. Naipul winner of the 2001 Nobel prize for literature publish an article on writing . In it he emphasizes the use of short clear sentences and encourages the lack of adjectives and adverbs. Essentially he pushes the writer to abandon florid language and master spartan communication . This is a desired feature of English prose , where short clipped sentences are the norm and seamlessly flow into a paragraph. In English prose the paragraph is the unit the writer cares about the most. This is not the case in Spanish where whole short stories (I'm thinking this was Gabriel Garcia Marquez but maybe it was Cortázar) are written in one sentence. Something so difficult to do in English that the expert translator could best manage to encapsulate the tale in two sentences. The florid language is what is considered good writing in Spanish but unfortunately this has lead t

My Fake Resume

Inspired by the over aggrandized bio of Joseph Rakofsky I want to write my own. If you don't know who he is; Joseph Rakofsky is a lawyer who earned a mistrial for a criminal client due to his (alleged) incompetence as reported on the Washington Post . There has been quite a few commentaries on his "Streisand-house" approach of suing all the bloggers and even the Washington Post and American Bar Association for reporting his (alleged) ineptitude. ("Streisand-house" is what happened to Barbara Streisand who wanted to have a picture of her mansion removed from the internet and she sued to have it removed. Unfortunately suing requires the filing of public documents with a picture of her house. The lawsuit had the direct opposite effect it intended. Everybody now could see legally, since it was a public document, a picture of her house.) But all that internet gossip aside I'm most impressed by his resume. Here is a quote from the website: Prior to stud