Skip to main content

Entrepreneurship is a state of mind

I'm starting a Non-Profit in Puerto Rico in 2012 that will revolutionize entrepreneurship on the island through the use of mentors in the broad Puerto Rican diaspora and the Hispanic community.

I don't know how to do this, and I'm doing it anyway.

There is a Buddhist story about a man that is poor and living on a hut. Underneath the hut is a large cache of gold but the man starves for lack of money; not knowing the wealth he possessed. This is so true, for there is no worse poverty than the poverty of the mind, not seeing the options that could be taken is far worse than having no options. And this is what I want to see impacted directly by my Non-profit.

Entrepreneurship is a state of mind. It's how one approaches life, failure and risk. It's not about making money, the same way the human body is not about eating, shitting and sleeping. Money, profits are necessary like food is to the body, but the Olympic marathon runner doesn't run to eat more, he eats to run. So a business, and even a society produces profits on it's way to something, not for their own sake.

And this is personal to me. I wanted to be an entrepreneur (still want to) when I graduated college and fruitlessly looked for a start-up in Puerto Rico (in pre-accessible web days). I joined a friend of mine, Colo, in his quest to start a netzine. I was going to be a writer, and Colo had lined up a photographer but he didn't have a camera. I dug my grandfather's camera, one of my most prized posetions and let it to him. We had meetings, we tried to find events to cover, a server to host, but it all went down and I've not seen my grandfather's camera, with the dented lens and the slightly off focus since. Now I'm a photographer and also a writer. The tools we needed: server-space, how to get ads, etc.  are much easier to put together now, but even now (if we could be 22 again) the project would fail. It would fail, not for lack of access or tools but for lack of -- well lack of emotional, mental and spiritual support.

For when you embark on a crazy journey, the whole world can call you insane, but nothing is ever more impossible than the moment right before it happens. Yet if the minute one starts to believe the scheme is crazy, it falls apart. The cultural beliefs in Puerto Rico discourage the creation of new enterprises and looks for ways to seemingly minimize risk. People study unending degrees with little or no practical value, but not out of a sense of intellectual curiosity, but out of a cultural belief that that is how it's done. Education had been and has been such a perfect pathway out of poverty that Puerto Rico as become locked into it, beyond the use for such education in the real world. I've met too many people in Puerto Rico with degrees that aren't worth the paper they are printed on, and way too many with immense knowledge of theory and no ability to put the rubber to the paint.

Time to change that.

The world is not as it used to be. Degrees don't beget jobs. Government can't be the only engine for transforming society. It has to start with the creation of ethical businesses based on core values out to not just make money but derive value to society and ultimately change the world.

So I will start with a non-profit, as yet unnamed (prededores latinos?) that will give mentors a chance to connect with people on the ground and support them in their enterprise of being entrepreneurs, of being creative engines of growth in the island. So when on those nights when you don't know what to do, when you don't know if you can do it, a voice, a guide can light you up with the possibility you are building and with the worthwhileness of your pursuit. Success or failure of a business is not a good judgment of a start-up, for sometimes these lie outside the real of the actionable, but the pursuit will lead to success. And if the first business fails the second may be spectacularly successful.

There is hidden risk in society is that we can depend on others to provide jobs and growth in the island, be it the government or some big multi-national corporation. That's risk, quite possibly riskier than an entrepreneurial venture.

Mentors will be not financial advisers or sources of founding (they will not be allowed to do that) but people that stand in the mentoree's ability to achieve in-spite of the challenges. Knowing that it can be done is the greatest wealth that can be given and if the man discovers the gold under his hut, he'll be rich and that's what I'm up to.

And finally I too will find a mentor myself to support me on my endeavors but the effort to find the mentor will be shared and beneficial to the island of my birth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building my own home.

I've decided. I want to build my own home. There is something special about building your own things. I built a desk for my tiny room when I first moved to L.A. My room was so small that I had to sit on the bed to use the computer so I build a high desk so I could sit on the bed and work on the computer. My roommate Trentity helped me cut the ply-wood to the right side. I still have that desk. It now sits on the living room covered by a cloth hiding the surplus of costume parts my current roommate Sean uses in his creations. Learning to build and fix things continue. And the feeling of satisfaction from fixing even small things is great. So a few years ago I heard on the NPR program the Story about a couple of educators that moved to a tent in their back-yard so they could rent their house and afford to send their kids to college. They had a special type of tent called a yurt and cooked and showered in an RV they had parked next to it. I thought I could do that. Housing in Lo

Contrasting Styles of Writing: English vs. Spanish

There is interestingly enough a big difference between what's considered good writing in Spanish and English . V.S. Naipul winner of the 2001 Nobel prize for literature publish an article on writing . In it he emphasizes the use of short clear sentences and encourages the lack of adjectives and adverbs. Essentially he pushes the writer to abandon florid language and master spartan communication . This is a desired feature of English prose , where short clipped sentences are the norm and seamlessly flow into a paragraph. In English prose the paragraph is the unit the writer cares about the most. This is not the case in Spanish where whole short stories (I'm thinking this was Gabriel Garcia Marquez but maybe it was Cortázar) are written in one sentence. Something so difficult to do in English that the expert translator could best manage to encapsulate the tale in two sentences. The florid language is what is considered good writing in Spanish but unfortunately this has lead t

My Fake Resume

Inspired by the over aggrandized bio of Joseph Rakofsky I want to write my own. If you don't know who he is; Joseph Rakofsky is a lawyer who earned a mistrial for a criminal client due to his (alleged) incompetence as reported on the Washington Post . There has been quite a few commentaries on his "Streisand-house" approach of suing all the bloggers and even the Washington Post and American Bar Association for reporting his (alleged) ineptitude. ("Streisand-house" is what happened to Barbara Streisand who wanted to have a picture of her mansion removed from the internet and she sued to have it removed. Unfortunately suing requires the filing of public documents with a picture of her house. The lawsuit had the direct opposite effect it intended. Everybody now could see legally, since it was a public document, a picture of her house.) But all that internet gossip aside I'm most impressed by his resume. Here is a quote from the website: Prior to stud