Skip to main content

When I was Puerto Rican

"El fanguito," or the little mud pile is, or was an 'arrabal' a place like the favelas in Brazil. An unstructured extremely poor housing. This one, the mud pile apparently stank quite a lot. I was very young when it was razed down and it's inhabitants moved to public housing. But still if the wind hits you just right you can smell the mangrove smell of decay.

Today, I smell that smell so strongly. I'd been saying how one of the advantages of a crisis like the one Puerto Rico is facing is that you can't deny it. You can't hide from the reality of it. Yet apparently you can. At least on my family denial is alive and well. Suddenly, having to defend one's position that staying in "el fanguito" is maybe not such a good idea, you can't stop smelling the scent of decay.

Like a wizard, one creates the future out of the imagination, whole cloth. Then draws the present there. Otherwise one plods along the available roads and if they all suck you are stuck. But if one fires away towards a new goal, a new life, a new reality, one can go off the road and make way with one's own walking. One's will can breach the way and create anything, even greatness and excellence out of standing in a mud pile.

Yet when I encounter someone stuck in their denial, you feel so alien for knowing it's not enough for you. Feel accused of something for seeking something more. And suddenly you realize that you're in a 'fanguito' plodding in the watery mud that smells of dead dreams and passive-agressive powerlessness.

Shit.

Now what?

Is 'el fanguito' even worth saving? Or is it better to just leave the deniers in their perfect little world contend with a worse murder rate per-capita than Mexico? With a failing school system with a massive desertion problem? A place where the public library was called "Borders" and it closed. With a male population so ill prepared academically that the Army has trouble admiting them.... How can people even be content with this? I don't know, and too seek an answer to that is to enter a labyrinth of circular thoughts like those in the stories of Borges.

How can a place with such great people produce such an abundance of deniers?? And what do we call these deniers? Luddites denying the technological reality of today? Philistines content in their inbred ignorance?

I mean really! Who gives a snot if it's 'Guaynabo city' or 'Gobierno de Puerto Rico' vs. 'Ciudad de Guaynabo' or 'Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico'? How is that even remotely important? The words are not relevant, it is what they stand for. A flag is a useless piece of cloth until people are willing to die to defend it, but not because it's a piece of cloth, but because of the people, the ideals which it stands for.

So what does Puerto Rico stand for? Is the Island of Enchantment itself under a spell? Maybe like me as a child so used to the hard tap water of Puerto Rico that the first time I had bottle water I hated it because it tasted like nothing, because it tasted pure.

I wonder if that's why Esmeralda Santiago, who did live in the actual 'el fanguito', called her book "When I was Puerto Rican."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building my own home.

I've decided. I want to build my own home. There is something special about building your own things. I built a desk for my tiny room when I first moved to L.A. My room was so small that I had to sit on the bed to use the computer so I build a high desk so I could sit on the bed and work on the computer. My roommate Trentity helped me cut the ply-wood to the right side. I still have that desk. It now sits on the living room covered by a cloth hiding the surplus of costume parts my current roommate Sean uses in his creations. Learning to build and fix things continue. And the feeling of satisfaction from fixing even small things is great. So a few years ago I heard on the NPR program the Story about a couple of educators that moved to a tent in their back-yard so they could rent their house and afford to send their kids to college. They had a special type of tent called a yurt and cooked and showered in an RV they had parked next to it. I thought I could do that. Housing in Lo

Contrasting Styles of Writing: English vs. Spanish

There is interestingly enough a big difference between what's considered good writing in Spanish and English . V.S. Naipul winner of the 2001 Nobel prize for literature publish an article on writing . In it he emphasizes the use of short clear sentences and encourages the lack of adjectives and adverbs. Essentially he pushes the writer to abandon florid language and master spartan communication . This is a desired feature of English prose , where short clipped sentences are the norm and seamlessly flow into a paragraph. In English prose the paragraph is the unit the writer cares about the most. This is not the case in Spanish where whole short stories (I'm thinking this was Gabriel Garcia Marquez but maybe it was Cortázar) are written in one sentence. Something so difficult to do in English that the expert translator could best manage to encapsulate the tale in two sentences. The florid language is what is considered good writing in Spanish but unfortunately this has lead t

My Fake Resume

Inspired by the over aggrandized bio of Joseph Rakofsky I want to write my own. If you don't know who he is; Joseph Rakofsky is a lawyer who earned a mistrial for a criminal client due to his (alleged) incompetence as reported on the Washington Post . There has been quite a few commentaries on his "Streisand-house" approach of suing all the bloggers and even the Washington Post and American Bar Association for reporting his (alleged) ineptitude. ("Streisand-house" is what happened to Barbara Streisand who wanted to have a picture of her mansion removed from the internet and she sued to have it removed. Unfortunately suing requires the filing of public documents with a picture of her house. The lawsuit had the direct opposite effect it intended. Everybody now could see legally, since it was a public document, a picture of her house.) But all that internet gossip aside I'm most impressed by his resume. Here is a quote from the website: Prior to stud